Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Catching up

No matter how much or little I work, I always feel behind. There are less than 50 days until my hotel closes for major renovations. During the hotel closure, I will be spending some time back in the US. My work has graciously allowed me to continue working while I back in the US, which gives me the chance to spend more time there.

I bought my ticket this week. I will coming back on the 25th of April and returning to SE Asia, tentatively, on the 7th of July. If construction is delayed and I am productive, I may extend my stay longer. I do not know when I will have another chance to spend such an extended amount of leave. I will also be continuing my contract with the company, with the expectation of helping to set-up a new hospitality school in Laos.

A few weeks ago, I showed my mother around Cambodia. It was quite a bit of fun for me to introduce her to my current lifestyle and social circles. We toured the south of Cambodia, experienced beach life, visited pepper fields, and strolled along a peaceful riverfront. Then we headed up to Siem Reap to take in the temples and the leisurely pace that the town offers.

Everything was going so well, that it was only natural for it to end on a negative note, in this case, with my mother falling off a slippery rock at a waterfall park and breaking her leg. However, my Mom is one tough cookie, and she walked up the 4 flights of narrow stairs to get out of the park, managed a local Cambodian clinic, and toughen through a 30 hour trip to get back to the US.

In other news, I made hamentashen and joined a very small Purim party.


No comments: