Monday, July 26, 2010

Mouse in the House

After a charming Italian dinner to send-off my charming Italian roommate, I returned home a bit tipsy to find a brown spot running into the corner behind my bed. I kicked the bed and watched the brown spot run across to another hiding spot. There aren't many place to hid in my room, so when I kicked the suitcase the furry animal had no choice but to run back behind the bed.

At this point, I finally connected the dots that there was a mouse in my room. I wasn't sure what I was going to do about it, but I figured I needed shoes to do it. I went out to the foyer to put on a pair of black loafers sans socks. They looked like the type of hard-soled shoe that could both protect my feet and stomp the life out of a mouse. Granted, I didn't think that I was actually going to break any mice necks with my shoes, but to be on the safe side I wasn't going to chance using soft, rubbery running shoes.

All I really wanted at that moment was the mouse out of my room. Sure enough, when I re-entered and kicked around all the piece of furniture and closet space, there was no mouse to be found. It's a small room made out of concrete, tile and wood for the doors and shutters. There aren't many places to hide.

I then proceeded to check all of the house that I could and still no sign of the mouse. Tired from a full meal, I decided that there was no mouse in the room and it was time to go to sleep.

I was a bit worried that the mouse was still in room, but the thought only kept me up for an extra 15 minutes at which point I slumbered peacefully. That is until the hour of 4 AM, when my subconscious went into overdrive. It is highly likely that what I felt moving over my shoulder was the wind from the fan. However, there remained a distinct possibility that a mouse had just run over my shoulder blade. My subconscious wasn't going to have any of that.

At this point, I freaked out a bit. Over turning every piece of furniture, I worked myself into a frenzy that completely eliminated any possibility of a return to the sleep that I desired so much. Sleep deprived days at work make me irritable and grouchy. All I can say for sure is that there will be mousetraps in my house before nightfall.

No comments: