Saturday, July 24, 2010

A Poem from my Bubba Lu and Other Reflections

From me to you
Here's a going away gift
I hope when you use it
It give you a lift

You've been back to Burien
Your American home
You've lived with friend Tom
But now you must roam

To travel afar
You have no phobia
So now you take off
To your job in Cambodia


Being in the US was a blast. Among the highlights were re-exploring Seattle's artistic side, experiencing California with Conor and Jam, returning to synagogue with my parents, hanging out and living with Tom and Lily, eating berries, visiting my favorite elementary school teacher, meeting Khmer-American students at the UW, cool and rainy NW weather, beautiful mountain settings, Mexican food, enjoying local beers with friends, meeting new people in casual settings, live theater, Daniel's bachelor party, board games, running through parks, walking on a beach with my sisters, the pride festival in SF with friends I haven't seen in years, bagels with jalapeno cream cheese, and having dinner with my immediate family.

Transitioning back to Cambodia has taken a bit more time than I expected. I am not sure if the emotion I am feeling is a longing to be back in the US or a longing for something new. Currently the hotel where I work is under reconstruction, which lends to a general feeling of flux.

The hotel closure also means I have a bit more spare time. It also means that I need to be more self-directed. While that is an ideal environment for some, I find that I accomplish less when I have less to do. Deadlines and demands get me moving. Open-ended tasks are encouragements to delay for a bit longer. I cannot say why I am wired this way, but it has held true in the past.

In the past few weeks, there have been some events that have lit a fire underneath my ass, but nothing strong enough to keep me running. Whatever it is that needs to kick me in the keister, I hope it happens soon so that I can get back into the swing of things.

No comments: